iGEM 2018 Judging Applications
The iGEM 2018 Judging Roster has been finalized. The judging application form is now closed. This page will no longer be monitored for the rest of the 2018 season.
Judging in iGEM is a lot of fun, but it does require a strong commitment. iGEM teams work incredibly hard on their projects over the summer, so we need judges who are also committed to work hard to evaluate them and who are willing to take part in the whole process of iGEM judging. If you can spend time learning about the judging process during the summer, evaluating team wikis the week before the Jamboree, and attending the Jamboree in October, we would love to have you on board!
We need experienced judges who understand iGEM, and new judges who are willing to learn about iGEM. We will provide educational resources to help judges learn how to evaluate teams, and we will help you get up to speed if you are selected.
Please email vinoo [AT] igem [DOT] org and/or traci [AT] igem [DOT] org if you have questions!
If you have colleagues who you think should apply, please feel free to direct them to this form.
We're looking for:
- People who have judged iGEM in the past
- iGEM PIs, instructors, and advisors
- Synthetic biology researchers who are new to iGEM, including graduate students and post-docs
- People who have experience in complimentary areas, such as the humanities, art and design, and software
- Professionals in the synthetic biology, biotechnology, and engineering industries
- iGEM alumni who want to stay involved
If you are a student on a 2018 iGEM team, you can't apply to be a judge this year. But you can apply when you graduate and become an iGEM alum!
Why should you be an iGEM judge?
Judging at the annual iGEM Giant Jamboree is an incredibly fulfilling and worthwhile experience for all judges, whether you're returning as a veteran judge or are a new judge this year. Some of the benefits include:
- Networking: You will meet fellow judges, students, and other professionals from around the world and different walks of life. Find your post-doc, network with industry leaders, and learn how others are doing synthetic biology worldwide!
- New Technology: You will learn about the latest cutting edge work being done in synthetic biology from student teams who are driven to excel and who test the boundaries of synthetic biology through their projects.
- Collaborate: Much like the iGEM teams, you'll have the chance to connect with people from around the globe, to expand your synthetic biology community, and to form new collaborations beyond the Giant Jamboree.
- Contribute to the iGEM Community: By volunteering to judge at the Giant Jamboree, you will contribute to what will be the most meaningful opportunity that these students experience in synthetic biology. Providing feedback to these dedicated students can be life changing for them as they continue through their academic career and beyond.
2018 Application Timeline: Deadline to Apply is July 31, 2018
Update as of July 11, 2018: We are now almost to our quota for the judging panel, so we will close judging applications at the end of July.
This year we are accepting applications on a rolling basis so there was no deadline to apply earlier in the year. We will be evaluating applications at the end of each month starting in March and will contact applicants approximately two weeks after the evaluation. This means status notifications (1. invitation to judge, 2. invitation to serve as a reserve judge, 3. invitation to re-apply, or 4. decline for 2018 with an invitation to apply next year) will be sent in the middle of each month, beginning in April, until our quota is full (expected by August). Once we have reached our quota, we will close the application and add a notice to this page.
Applicants who are invited to join the judging panel will be asked to confirm their acceptance, so you may certainly apply to judge prior to knowing if you can fully commit to attending the Giant Jamboree.
Instructor judges (team PIs, instructors, and advisors) will receive a 50% discount on their Jamboree attendance fee! Judges who are not affiliated with a team will receive free Jamboree attendance!
We are also excited to offer free childcare for all of our judges throughout the Giant Jamboree!
Judge Application Form
Thank you for filling out this form. We look forward to picking a strong judging team for 2018!
Need to make changes?