The Interlab study of Team Hong_Kong_JSS is a collaborative effort together with Team Hong_Kong_CUHK during 17 to 23 of July. we are extremely grateful that Team CUHK provided us with material and equipment assistance, as a high school team like us lacks access to equipment necessary for this study, such as the plate reader. We only participated in the Plate reader stream.
Plate reader: BMG labtech CLARIOstar
96-spot well plates: clear plates from Corning
Bacteria strains: E.coli DH5α
Test devices: obtained from the distribution kit
|Test device 1||BBa_J364000|
|Test device 2||BBa_J364001|
|Test device 3||BBa_J364002|
|Test device 4||BBa_J364007|
|Test device 5||BBa_J364008|
|Test device 6||BBa_J364009|
#The 50ml falcon tube used in the experiments are clear tubes, but they are covered under an amber cover from the shaker.
The protocol we followed is given by the iGEM headquarter for all interlab-participating teams to follow.
Calibration 1 OD600 Reference point
Calibration 2 Particle Standard Curve
We noticed the general increasing trend of absorbance for the particle curve, but the data does not behave as a perfect straight line. We noticed that the silica beads condensed and clustered together very quickly upon the mixing of the solution (by pipette up and down). Therefore, we keep the 96 well plate on a vortexer to keep shaking it gently until putting it in the plate reader. However it seems like the silica still clustered at the bottom and this might make the readings inconsistent and causes some error.
Calibration 3 Fluorescence standard curve
Raw plate reader values
Net measurement values
uM Fluorescein / OD
Net Fluorescein a.u.
Results-Colony Forming Unit
OD 600 measurement of the 2 device
Participating in the interlab study was definitely a challenge to our team as we lack the necessary equipment (eg. the Plate reader) to carry out the measurement, and we would would like to thank team Hong Kong CUHK once again. Without their generous help, we would not have been able to participate in this study.
The interlab study was definitely quite challenging for a high school team like us, as we lack the equipment and experience in running a experiment in this size. Some of the apparatus and reagent (eg. the Amber 50ml Falcon tube) prescribed in the protocol were not available in both our lab and CUHK’s lab, so we are often to adapt and use various alternative methods. However, this has been an amazing experience for us to improve our wet lab work ability and we are so grateful to be able to participate in this research.
Hong Kong JSS