iGEM Southern China Regional Meeting(2017)
We were invited to Shenzhen University (SZU) to attend the
iGEM Southern China Regional Meeting. The meeting was divided into three parts: project presentation, Q&A and free discussion. We gathered together to discuss the feasibility of the project, checked whether the ideas were flawed,came up with many insightful and helpful suggestions.
In this meeting we met different teams from different universities, and established the foundation of collaborations and communications with other teams. It was the first time that our project was displayed when the chassis we choosed was Medicago sativa, and Sinorhizobium meliloti. It was a hard time that we could find no way out our project design.
The iGEM Southern China Regional Meeting brought us a lot, this period of exprience nearly changed the whole project design of our team.
Conference of China iGEMer Community(2017)
The Conference of China iGEMer Committee(CCiC) is an advanced academic conference of synthetic biology in China, aiming to promote the development of synthetic biology and improve the contact and communications of nationwide iGEM teams.
We attended the 2017CCiC hosted by the FAFU-CHINA. It was a great opportunity for us to know more about other teams’ projects and learn from each other, such as TUST-China, they introduced their project to us, and we found that both of us chased the production optimization of bacterial cellulose, one of the difference between our projects was the chassis we choosed as bioreactor. We went on selecting suitable organisms to modify, and the new project design come into being.
We have well established the connections with some of the teams which bring us helpful collaborations and support for our CUIPD project. In addition, it was useful to talk to other teams to exchange experience on poster design, oral presentation and human practice skills.
Meeting with SYSU-Software & SYSU-China (2017)We went to the Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) to meet with the two teams there: SYSU-China and SYSU-Software. At the beginning of the establishment of their teams, we exchanged experience in recruiting, teaming, projecting, and training. We also learned that the SYSU provided a comprehensive set of training courses to improve the experimental skills and abilities of team members It inspired us that we seek help from our university for providing such kinds of training for our team. The university offered a seris of useful safety courses and trainings for us as we mentioned in the safety section
- Since the modeling of SYSU-Software strongly interested us, our team had established a long-term cooperation with SYSU-Software, made many face-to-face communications, and discussed in depth of the development trends of synthetic biology and the potential application fields. In addition, SYSU-Software was invited to our college to deliver a presentation and demonstration of the software they developed. We have leart a lot from their project and they also gave us many constructive suggestions on develoing our computer modeling.
Meeting with Peking & SCUT (2017)
- Under the leadership of Haoqian Zhang, our three schools got the opportunity to meet and exchange. Yihao Zhang, the captain of PKU iGEM, showed us the growth and achievements of Peking from its establishment to the present. Chen nan, the captain of the SCUT iGEM also showed the process from prototype to formation. During the meeting, we have formed a clearer concept about iGEM and have a better understanding of the game.
Help NPU-China complete modeling (2017)
Weixu Wang, who is in charge of computer modeling in our team, helped NPU-China complete their model - Metabolic Flow Modeling in 2017.
Meeting with SUSTech_Shenzhen(2018)
- Members of SUSTech_Shenzhen were invited to come to Guangzhou to discuss with us. We exchanged opinions on each project. During the discussion, the team of the SUSTech raised potential problems that our project may encounter in the future, as well as areas that need to be improved, such as how to remove the resistance of the plasmid after genetic transformation.
- Three heads are better than one. Fortunatly, we conducted in-depth communications with SCUT-China_A on our detailed experiments. When we were facing the difficulties of extracting the genome DNA of Gluconacetobacter xylinus ATCC 23767, SCUT-China_A helped us to improve our method and finally we succeeded. On the other hand, we also measured the yeast growth variations and activity for SCUT-China_A. The help and contributions from and to other iGEM teams are extremely helpful for us to realize the importance of communication and collaboration.
- Our team conducted an exchange discussion with NEU_China_B in August 2018. This meeting is mainly to share the two team's projects main content and two teams each encountered in the experiment problem. The Q&A are as following.
NEU_China_B: How do you ensure that the integrative vector in transformants will not lose?
SCAU-China: The integrative vector we used is pFQ20 provided by the Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy and Bioprocess Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. The homology arms in integrative vector for homologous recombination allows the target genes to be stably transferred into the genome of Microcoleus vaginatus. It has been verified through our experiment results.
SCAU-China: How to match the concentration of AI-2 expressed by the first plasmid pCFDuet-1 with the GFP concentration expressed by pet28a.
NEU_China_B: Our experiment was to release the AI-2 signal molecule after the PCFDUET-1 expression plasmid induction of lactic acid concentration, and AI-2 signal molecule can inhibit the lldr sequence on the second plasmid pet28a.
The LLDR sequence is capable of producing GFP-deterring proteins. In the experiment, we verified that two plasmid copies were more similar, and that the O1o2 sequence could be started normally when the lactic acid concentration was lower (less than 1m mol), and then the GFP gene could be produced fluorescent signal.
Therefore, the expression of two plasmids is more matched, and the experimental results are not affected in this project.
What’s more, we provided the yogurt produced by Guangdong SCAU Assets Management Co.Ltd. to NEU_China_B as their experiment materials for the LED project. They finally obtained positive results by using the experimental materials from us.
GDSYZX(2018)What we did for them
- We conducted a two-day basic experimental skills training course for the 2018 high school iGEM team GDSYZX to help them complete the wet lab tasks for the competition. In addition, we also started a seven-day art design course to help GDSYZX team to better complete their wiki, poster, banner, logo, team flag, team uniform and other aspects involving art design. Moreover, in this course, we explained the iGEM official requirements, and taught them some basic usage of design software, and taught t two high school teams to finish making their own prototypes of posters, logos and wikis. (More detailed information can be found on the Integrated Human Practices page).
GZHS-United(2018)What we did for them
- We learned that the high school team GZHS-United encountered equipment and venue difficulties when completing the interlab task. We volunteered to help them to complete the interlab requirements. What’s more, we also launched a seven-day art design course to help GZHS-United team designing their wiki, poster, banner, logo, team flag and team uniform. Moreover, in this course, we explained the official requirements of iGEMcompetition, and introduced some basic use of design software, and taught t two high school teams to finish making their own prototypes of posters, logos and wikis.
(More detailed information can be found on the Integrated Human Practices page)What they did for us
GZHS-United to provide us with the Silica Beads, which were required for our interlab.
Guangdong Country Garden School
- Guangdong Country Garden School is the first IBC international school in China. The school encourages sthents to participate in any international competition such as iGEM. Last year, they took part in the 2017 Guangdong iGEM High School United. This year our team kept close contact with the class majored in economic and biology. We introduced the theoretical knowledge about synthetic biology, and help to conduct the simple basic molecular cloning and gene manipulation. We put great effort in stimulateing their interests in synthetic biology and encouage them getting ready for the next iGEM competition. They aslo carried out the public education and survey according what they had learned from this activity to gave the public a better understanding on genetic modification and transformation.
(You can find more information on the Public Engagement & Education page)
Desert-control Research Institu
State Key Laboratory of Desert and Desertification, Chinese Academy of Sciences
In September 2017, we got in touch with the state key laboratory of desert and desertification, Chinese Academy of Sciences. They offered us the experimental sands that we needed in our CUIPID project from the local desert .We kept a close connection with the key laboratory of desert and desertification and keep updating our ideas and progress of our project with them.
Fig 1. The biological soil crusts experiments based on the sand samples provided by the Key Laboratory of Desert and Desertification, CAS
In October 9th 2018, we consulted them a series of questions to learn about the current situation of desertification, methods to control desertification, and problems encountered in the practical application. We also collected the professional opinions from researchers in the state key lab about our project to better improve our CUPID project.
(You can find more information on the Integrated Human Practice page)
Fig2. The photos of different scenes in Minqin provided by the Key Laboratory of Desert and Desertification, CAS (Site: Hongyashan Reservoir; Qingtu lake; Suwu town)