End of Winter
After the end of the winter selection, we formed a new team - ZJU-China 2018. It is the beginning of the story.
March 8 - June 2
At the group meeting, everyone had brainstormed many times. This is a rather long process, many ideas were proposed and rejected, and finally, we reached a consensus - to create a cool artificial multi-enzyme complex
At the group meeting, everyone had brainstormed many times. This is a rather long process, many ideas were proposed and rejected, and finally, we reached a consensus - to create a cool artificial multi-enzyme complex!
We went out to play and know each other better!
We officially confirmed the project as a protein scaffold and started the experiment.
We divided our project into three parts. 1 - Curli expression. 2 - Enzyme construction 3 - Electrode modification. We prepared essential material and protocols for the the most important battlefield - Summer!
The summer vacation had begun. The csgA protein has been successfully expressed. However, the construction of csgA KO strains met some difficulties. Despite this, the staged results still make us very happy!
We have successfully constructed recombination strains with exogenous protein. Since the expression of eukaryotic proteins in prokaryotic systems is indeed a challenge, we have many failures. However, after many attempts, we successfully completed the expected goal!
We had a pleasant meeting with ACON Bio. After showing them the project, they feel that our project has great possibilities, but it needs to be improved in some practical aspects.
We went to the Zhejiang Science and Technology Museum and hoped to promote our own projects. In a cheerful atmosphere, we not only introduced them to the basic knowledge of synthetic biology, but also introduced some of our projects. To our surprise, the children have a very strong interest in our projects. A child even pointed out a problem that we ourselves are confused! What a surprising experience.
We have learned the electrode technology and decided to make two products - one is basic, using electrodes as well as electrochemical workstations, the other is smaller, and can even in a pocket.
Work on 2D printing is also progressing well. We made a practical 2D printer and prepared to use it to accurately print the enzyme onto the electrode.
We had sought help from Shanghai Tech University and gotten a csgA-KO strain. With this bacterium, our project has taken a big step forward. By testing the KO strain, we verified the function of Curli and prepared to fix it to the electrode in the next step.
We went to CCIC. This is the Asian Forum on Synthetic Biology, and we showcased our projects. Other teams in china gave us many useful suggestions and had a lot of communication with us. Through CCIC, we knew everyone's progress and also clarified the subsequent tasks.
We have consulted some question about safety with Joichim messing，he gave us a lot of practical advises. Thanks so much for him!
We basically completed the production of the first generation of products. The results given by the electrochemical workstation are very satisfactory. However, its large size limits the practicality of the product. At the same time, the development of the second generation of smaller and lighter products is nearing completion. We are going to get the final result!
We finally finished the final product! A beautiful interdigital electrode successfully distinguishes between the patient and the normal person. Although its stability needs to be further improved, this achievement is very exciting!
October 1 – 15
After completing the final optimization of the product, we started writing wikis. Writing a wiki every day keeps doctor away.