The Lubbock TTU iGEM Team is part of a student organization at Texas Tech University known as iGEM Raiders. Our mission is to expose the university and community to synthetic biology through undergraduate initiative and involvement in the International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) Competition. This year, the iGEM Raiders team is composed of 8 dedicated undergraduate and graduate students with backgrounds in cell & molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, mathematics, physics, and chemical engineering. The diversity within our team enables the iGEM Raiders to tackle novel project ideas.
Meet the Team
- Name: Jordan ChasteenMajor: BiochemistryRole: Wet Lab AssistantGoal: I want to get a Ph. D. and do research and development for new medicines in the academic or pharmaceutical sector.
- Name: Benjamin ChavezMajor: Molecular Biology Role: Wet Lab InstructorHobbies: Playing guitar, swimming, carpentry, working out, and reading novels.
- Name: Darron TharpMajor: Cell and Molecular BiologyRole: Wet Lab AssistantHobbies: Competitive Overwatch, cruising on my longboard, having jam sessions with friends
- Name: Jeff PtakMajor: BiochemistryRole: Wet Lab AssistantHobbies: Jiu-Jitsu, Dancing, Going to Waterparks, Hearthstone
- Name: Gregory KnoxMajor: BiochemistryRole: Former Vice-PresidentCareer Interests: Bioengineering and Synthetic biologyHobbies: Playing instruments and running
- Name: Brandon PalomoMajor: M.S. PhysicsRole: President & Team LeaderHobbies:Video games and taking care of my dog, cat, lizards, snakes, and tarantulas.
- Name:Pranathi BingiMajor: MicrobiologyRole: Wet Lab AssistantHobbies:I participate in bollywood-style dancing and indian classical singing. In my free time I love binge-watching TV shows and hanging out with my friends.
- Name: Paula Garavito Major: BiochemistryRole: Vice-President & Wet Lab ManagerHobbies:I plan to attend Medical school to pursue a career in Neurology. In my free time I like to work out and watch anime.
- Advisor: Roger B. Sutton, Ph.D. Biochemistry/Structural Biology
- Advisor: Ruth Serra-Moreno, Ph.D. Microbiology, M.S. in Biotechnology
- Primary PI: John D'Auria, Ph.D. Moleculuar, Cellular, and Develpmental Biology
- Faculty Advisor: Julie Isom, Associate Program Director of Research CISER, M.S.
- Secondary PI: Michael Latham, Ph.D. Chemistry and Biochemistry